PURPOSE OF POSITION: Perform manual labor and operate heavy equipment in performing a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks necessary in the grading and maintenance or roads using independent judgment and initiative, the construction, repair, or demolition of bridges, box culverts, and roads, perform routine maintenance and repair on assigned vehicles and equipment, perform tasks requiring manual labor or heavy lifting.
- Operate a variety of equipment such as light and heavy-duty dump trucks, tractors/mowers, tractor/trailer, front-end loaders, motor graders, excavators, backhoe, scrapers, dozer, tractor/lowboy, chain saws and/or other similar equipment associated with the road department.
- Perform skilled tasks in the operation of heavy equipment, fill low spots in roads, create or maintain windrows along roads, establish or maintain the desired grade and depth of road surfacing material using independent judgment in conformance with professionally accepted construction methods and policies of the Road Department.
- Clean, excavate, or grade ditches along roadways.
- Inspect roads for damage and proper drainage.
- Paint equipment and vehicles with paint spraying equipment; perform simple body work.
- Direct work activities of other Road Department personnel in tasks necessary for safe and efficient use of heavy equipment and other maintenance and construction activities.
- Assist work crews in moving dirt in and around construction and repair projects, excavate culverts to be replaced, backfill dirt around bridge approaches, box culverts, and culverts.
- Performs snow removal and sand/salt spreading duties, either manually or by utilizing
- automotive snow removal equipment.
- Backslope banks along roads according to established policies of the Road Department.
- Patrol roads in predetermined area of the County to determine what maintenance and repair work must be accomplished.
- Patrol roads in predetermined area of the County during flood or snow emergencies or as instructed to determine hazardous or dangerous road conditions.
- Inspect vehicles, trucks, tractors and other equipment for readiness condition, proper fluid levels, proper tire pressures, and other factors necessary for correct operation before use, report problems or deficiencies to immediate supervisor.
- Perform manual labor such as tree/brush removal, highway patching, backfilling dirt, erecting barricades, build all types of fences or similar tasks related to the road department.
- Perform preventive maintenance on assigned equipment, assist in servicing and repair of equipment, clean shop area or garage area as required by department.
- Change tires and wheels on vehicles and trucks, repair flat tires and check for air leaks.
- Maintain an organized record keeping file of equipment maintenance reports, road maintenance performed, supplies used, time and attendance reports, and any other information required by the Road Department.
- Perform the installation, repair and replacement of signs along County roads. Perform and maintain sign and culvert inspections.
- Performs duties on an on-call basis as needed.
- Performs other duties as directed or as the situation dictates.
Essential Physical Demands and Typical Working Conditions
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and listen on a two-way radio.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed in both an indoor garage facility and outdoors in all types of weather conditions and temperature variations.
- Worker is exposed to grease, dirt, gas fumes, sun and inclement weather. Normal hazards are present in working with machinery and vehicles.
- The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate and can sometimes be loud.
Essential Attendance and Availability Requirements
- Must maintain an acceptable level of attendance, punctuality, and availability as determined by the County; must work such regularly-scheduled hours as are determined by the County; must work any required overtime, weekends, and holidays.
- Must work at the assigned work site.
- Must travel as required.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 – $20.00 per hour
- Flexible spending account
- Retirement plan
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In person